Friday, September 10, 2010

Questions for Reflection and Writing

"How it Feels to Be Colored Me"
what labels do you give yourself? How does your self-identity function in your day-to-day life? Compare your concept of self with Hurtson's, as she expresses it in this essay.

Some labels that I give myself are White, Student, Brother, Uncle, Worker, Eighteen Years Old, Non-Reader, Active, Six foot, Two Hundred and Five Pounds Male. By being white my self-identity blends in with the majority of the community. The functions i do from day-today I don't worry about what people say whether they are judging me or not. I'm not a person that stands out or makes a big statement. I think because the color of my skin people intend to give more respect to me even though that's not far or equal. My neighborhood is full of elderly people so they are mostly old fashion and have different morals, thoughts about certain people. Zora Hurston and I are just people like everyone else but we get judge differently because the color of are skin. Zora expects that she is the only black in the United States whose grandfather on the mother's side was not an Indian chief. Zora lives in a black community where she feels comfortable because she is around her kind. When she has to go to a school with a lot of white kids she feels out of place. She says that "slavery is sixty years in the past" Zora is the type of girl that looks forward to the future and does sob over the past because it has already happen and there is nothing you can do about it. I have nothing to compare to the things that she is having to go through. I live in a community of whites and the High School I went to was white. I may not be able to compare to what she went through but i do understand how hard it must of been to do what she had done. You shouldn't have to feel like your being judged just because you are different from others. If you have the mind set that you are just as good as everyone else I think you will be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colton,

    You write,

    "She says that "slavery is sixty years in the past" Zora is the type of girl that looks forward to the future and does sob over the past because it has already happen and there is nothing you can do about it."

    You bring up an excellent point that Hurston makes. I like that you have brought in direct quotes from Hurston. You are right; she does not look down on herself or her people because of slavery, merely she looks at it as something that happened. It is unfortunate in her eyes as we should all agree.

    I understand that you may not understand her experiences because of who she is and her identity just as I cannot identity with you as a white male. All of our experiences are different.

    ReplyDelete